There has been a huge increase in people marrying in the UAE over time. This is a major reason that the number of marriage Lawyers in Dubai is also going up quickly. However, couples must seek marriage counseling services from those lawyers before taking the step into a new chapter of their lives together.
You may also read: Family lawyers in Dubai
Marriage is a legal bond between two people living together. However, it is bound by a contract between these two parties. Marriage is commonly celebrated through a ceremony that is called a wedding. There can be a registered marriage in Dubai or a civil marriage. A government official performs the ceremony and religious marriage in a civil marriage while a pastor performs the ceremony in a registered marriage. There is a common meaning of marriage that it still somehow differentiates from one country to another in terms of details because of the various cultures in the world.
You may also read: Marriage Lawyers in Dubai
Different Kinds of Marriage
There are different kinds of marriages all around the world. We will discuss down below some of these types of marriages.
- Monogamy: This is the most common kind of marriage in the world and is most practiced in societies. Monogamy is a kind of marriage that involves one partner at a time which is perfect for a couple to live together. However, it is believed that monogamy proves to be more stable having fewer conflicts.
- Polygyny: In this kind of marriage, a man marries more than one woman at a time. Polygyny was very common in ancient times, but it was not much popular as monogamy at this time. Most people prefer monogamy type of marriage instead of polygyny all around the world in this modern era.
- Polyandry: This kind of marriage is much similar to the polygyny type, but it is the woman who marries more than one man at a time in a polyandry marriage. However, polyandry is not quite a common kind of marriage in this world.
How to get married in Dubai
The most common thing that is required to get married in Dubai is getting known about all the legal procedures of getting married in Dubai. Therefore, you need to get the service of counseling from Dubai Lawyers about that procedure. When it comes to marriages in Dubai, the laws are all based on Sharia Law. However, it is an Islamic religious legal system that regulates all aspects of the UAE. There is a strict law in the UAE regarding marriage. It is forbidden for couples to live together unless they are married, regardless of their religion.
The only two ways that a man and a woman can be together in the same house whether if they are married or family members according to the law of Dubai. But if they are not a family member and live together in the same house, the court can punish them by law. The only thing that can give them the right to share space is marriage. Therefore, they need to marry each other and make a family to live comfortably together in Dubai.
Requirements that Expats should prepare for getting married in Dubai
If you are thinking to get married in Dubai, you will need to follow a set of procedures like in any other country. However, it commonly depends on the residency status, citizenship, and even nationality of the couple. There are some documents that you will need to have, some of them required to be attested.
If you are Non-Muslim and want to marry legally in Dubai, it is a must for you and your partner to be at least 18 years old. However, you and your partner should have witnessed with your IDs. There are many needs for marriage in Dubai that an embassy requires, which depends on the citizenship and nationality of the couple. The most common documents that are needed by the couple are:
- Original and photocopies of the couple’s passports
- A medical fitness certificate and a blood test were taken at the Ministry of Health
- Birth certificates of the couple to be married
- Original and photocopies of the witnesses’ passports
- Former marriage certificates and final divorce papers if one of the couples is divorced
- The death certificate of the previous spouse if one or both of the couple are widows
If you are from any other country and wish to marry in the UAE, your country would ask you to submit an intention to marry application. This will be filed at the concerned embassy of your country in the UAE. Therefore, it is a must for you and your partner to make sure to check with your respective embassies.
For Muslim Expats, there is a different procedure for people who wish to marry in Dubai through Sharia marriage. However, the couple needs to visit Dubai courts to get the information before marrying in Dubai. If they still have any issues about it, they can hire family lawyers in Dubai to clarify their confusion. These lawyers offer to avail of their consultation service before being married in Dubai through Sharia Law. In addition, the couple will need to submit a form with registration to marry in Dubai.
Requirements to be prepared by the couple to get married in Dubai
- There should be at least one person having an employment or residence visa in Dubai
- Both of the parties should be at the Dubai court on the day of their marriage
- Pre-marriage medical certificate
- Passports of the couple
- Visa status of the couple
- The national ID of the couple
However, a Muslim woman should have a guardian and two male witnesses in Dubai court on the day of marriage. Both of them cannot be alone and represent themselves in court. In a case where the bride’s father is allowed cannot be present on the day of marriage, a substitute guardian can be delegated by him in the court. But the religion of that substitute guardian must be the same as the father.