Legal Services in Qatar
Legal Services in Qatar: Qatar is one of the member countries of GCC. Due to its vast natural resources of natural gas and oil, Qatar is termed one of the wealthiest countries in the world. It has a population of over 2.6 million people with only 13% of the total population being Qatari nationals. The other 87% comprises expatriates from different countries of the world.
Qatar is a small country compared to its neighbors. Its only close neighbor is Saudi Arabia with the Persian Gulf being on the other side. Qatar is comprised of eight municipalities namely:
- Al Rayyan Wakrah
- Al Shamal
- Umm Salal
- Al Khor
- Al Daayen
Qatar’s capital is Doha. It is also the biggest municipality of Qatar and is the most populous as well. It is also the economic center of Qatar.
Qatar’s official religion is Islam, with sharia law being the basis of the constitution of Qatar, however, in practice both its legal services in Qatar’s system comprise both sharia law and civil law. The most used fields of law in Qatar are:
With the majority of the population of Qatar comprised of expatriates, who are in Qatar for employment purposes, employment law is vastly used by employers and employees. A Qatari national owns 51% of the stakes of any business that starts its operations in Qatar. It does not mean that the employment law of Qatar does not support the employees who are in Qatar for employment purposes. Employment lawyers in Qatar and especially in Doha are well versed in safeguarding the interest of employers and employees.
Family law in Qatar is based on the principles of sharia law. It treats Muslims and non-Muslims living in Qatar under the jurisdiction of sharia law. Family lawyers in Qatar are well versed in handling cases of domestic nature. Be it child custody, divorce, inheritance, or any other dispute.
Laws governing criminal law in Qatar are based on the principles of sharia law. Although in practice both civil and sharia law are implemented, however, when it comes to criminal law, mostly sharia law is followed. Criminal lawyers in Qatar are well versed in handling cases of criminal nature. Offenders are usually punished according to the sharia law.
Besides the above-mentioned services in different fields of law, lawyers in Qatar and especially lawyers in Doha provide services in debt collection. Debt collection in Qatar has become a headache for financial institutes, because of an ever-increasing influx of expatriates who lands in Qatar to find work and avail loans from financial institutes.
When these expatriates are unable to pay back their loans, debt collectors or debt collection agencies come into effect. Few of these offenders of bad debt fly back to their home countries, hoping that they will never be caught or asked. But, the main job of a debt collector is to go after them.
Furthermore, a few other laws should be considered, when traveling to Qatar for work or tourism. They are:
- Alcohol consumption is a partially legal service in Qatar, only for non-Muslims. It is strictly illegal for a Muslim to consume alcohol in Qatar and is a punishable act. The punishment for alcohol consumption for a Muslim could be flogging (beating with a lash) or deportation.
- Illicit sexual relations are another punishable act as per the laws of Qatar. Adultery is considered a punishable act in Qatar according to its sharia law routes. The punishment is flogging or deportation.
- Homosexuality is considered a crime in Qatar. Its punishment includes the death penalty, along with other punishments such as flogging and deportation.
- People coming in Qatar are required to dress modestly. Women are advised not to wear short skirts, tight clothes, sleeveless dresses, or leggings. Whereas men are not advised to wear shorts and singlets.
- Our lawyers in Qatar have a vast experience in the fields of law majorly used in Qatar. They have served numerous satisfied clients over the years. Get in touch with us if you require any assistance in matters of law in Qatar.
Disclaimer: An attorney/lawyer shall be consulted when making a decision for your legal needs. Rules and laws described in this blog shall only be used as a source of information and cannot be contested in a court of law, nor can be used as legal advice or legal services in Qatar.